1. Applicants, do not ask staff to read your application, you will be denied.
    If the server that you wish to apply for does not have a prefix option, do not apply for it.
  2. Welcome to the Brawl website! Feel free to look around our forums. Join our growing community by typing /register in-game!

quarterpan JMOD Application

Discussion in 'Staff Applications' started by quarterpan, Nov 14, 2020.

?

Is quarterpan ready to be a JMOD?

1. Yes (+1)

66.7%
  2. No (-1)

33.3%
  1. quarterpan

quarterpan CTFer

Ratings:
    +26
    Discord:
    amir#9645
    Brawl Junior Moderator Application

Read over this thread: http://www.brawl.com/threads/14752/
    If you do not meet the requirements (active, helpful, must have Discord, etc) do not apply yet; it will be an auto deny.

What is your in-game name? - quarterpan (https://namemc.com/profile/quarterpan.2)
    Is your Minecraft account secured and migrated? - Yes, the password is also changed every 6 months.

How old are you? - I am 17 years old, turning 18 in a month.
    What time zone are you in? - EST (GMT-5)
    Are you multilingual? Can you speak multiple languages? - Yes, I can fluently speak in English and Urdu, I am also capable of understanding some Arabic and Spanish.

What is your experience and knowledge of Brawl? - Shortly after creating my Minecraft account in August of 2013, I joined the MCPVP community moreso as a random player who logged on time-to-time just to enjoy the game experience. After MCPVP shut down, I stopped playing CTF for a while since I didn't know that Brawl had adopted the game mode from MCPVP and continued to develop it. I joined Brawl when one of my friends from MCPVP hit me up and told me that they had been playing MCPVPCTF on this server. Since I've joined Brawl, I was typically still playing on and off for the first two years, recently in 2018 is when I began to play with much more consistent activity. I've held different names and have been on multiple teams such as NNY, ANNI (briefly), ROY, CX, FT, and ETH. Ethereal was one of my first experiences in the competitive scene of CTF and it was also the first team that I (along with two others) founded ourselves and led as Council / Leaders. Since I started becoming more active, I've also participated in PPMs quite a bit and hosted a few myself.

What is your experience with moderating servers, if any? - My main experience in managing and moderating a server is on a server called "AMS Networks". I started my journey there as a Helper (JMOD) and worked my way up to Head-Admin and eventually received ownership of the network. I had worked with this server for almost 6 years and developed mechanical, analytical, and technical skills. I was leading initiatives for better moderation, more efficient staff management, event creation and hosting, new gameplay updates, etc. Though AMS is quite a small network, in it's peak it was hitting a daily number of 100 players.

Why do you want to become a moderator on Brawl? - Though I'm in the EST time-zone, I typically play at awkward times and can easily log onto the server early morning and late at night. Though there are many moderators available throughout the day and evening, I believe that I'd benefit the staff team and server by being another staff member that's available at unconventional times. Secondly, I'd like to play a part in the planning and implementation of gameplay updates and related topics. I believe that with my experience in AMS and my real life responsibilities, I have a great mindset and opinionation that I could provide to the staff team and the different development teams that are pushing effort to create new beneficial updates and changes to the game. Finally, I'd like to become a moderator on Brawl in order to properly moderate the chats and effectively deal with hackers.

Have you ever used a hacked client before? - Yes, I have used clients such as Sigma, Wurst, Wolfram, Nodus, and Artisois clients typically on pro-hacking servers or fairly smaller or newer servers in order to test them out. Since I've used these clients before, I've developed a much more analytical mindset that allows me to be able to differentiate hacking or game abusing from unique playstyles and ping issues. I have not used hack clients to actually cheat for any reason other than curiosity to test it out and see how it works.

Have you ever been punished (banned, kicked, muted, etc) legitimately on a public Minecraft server? If so, why? - Yes, I am currently permanently banned (for chat reasons) on Hypixel, though, in my defense I was not the person on the account at the time. :smile:

What do you consider your greatest strength? - My greatest strength would probably be humility. It pretty much grounds me and allows me to have room for errors and introspection. It reminds me that everybody has flaws and mistakes and that nobody should develop too much of an ego.

What do you consider your greatest weakness? - My greatest weakness would likely by my procrastination and stubbornness. Once I have an idea in mind, it's very difficult for me to let it go. My procrastination spans both in-game and in real life with no foreseen end to it yet. The most impactful weakness out of these two would definitely be procrastination. I am actively working to try to fix my mindset and get myself to have enough motivation to get things done on time, and so far it seems to be working.

Which Brawl server(s) are you most active on? - I'm most active on CTF though I periodically play on Party, War-Z, Kit, and Build.

How many Brawl staff applications have you made in the past? - I've made one staff application in the past.
    What is the date of the last application you submitted? - August 16, 2018.
    Do you have Discord? - Yes, my Discord is amir#9645.

Anything else you would like to state? - Thanks for taking the time to read through my app. :wink:

Please insert a Yes / No poll below.

2. Salty_Ivan

Salty_Ivan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +90
    Discord:
    Whale#7514
    Is this server still currently running, and if so, are you still heavily involved with the network? Owning a network is a huge responsibility and outside of IRL responsibilities and playtime in-game are you sure you have sufficient time to dedicate Brawl as a staff member?

Could you list some contributions you have made or plan to make to the current state of CTF and Brawl? The reasons you have listed here are good, however, many of these qualities and reasons are to be expected from anyone applying for staff, such as making new contributions to improve the server, or dealing with cheaters and chat.

Having experience with hacked clients is excellent, however, using them on smaller/newer servers can be questionable. Not saying that you'll hack on Brawl of course, but just something to be wary about doing in the future on other servers.

This is a huge red flag, and it indicates that your account is not entirely secure and other individuals might have access to it. What were to happen if this occurred on Brawl, while you were staff?

It is good to not develop an ego, but you should also be confident of your stance on things and cannot be undecided or let other peoples' claims/statements change your opinion. Perhaps there comes a situation where you need to stand by your opinion and decision if it is right, even though others may not think so. Additionally, while everyone makes mistakes, as a staff member the line is much easier to cross and there isn't much room for errors, especially in such a tight-knit community in my opinion.

Are you sure you are able to meet deadlines, especially on staff teams where one person's work can influence another's? Also, if you feel you are stubborn when it comes to ideas and suggestions, sometimes you need to be the same way when it comes to your opinionated decision in certain situations (previous point). Plus, you should work towards being willing to accept other peoples' ideas and when/if they may be better than yours.

Despite the questions I've asked here, overall I would definitely give a +1, but that may be influenced because I know you a bit better than most people in the community, and I think you could make a very positive contribution to the staff team.

3. quarterpan

quarterpan CTFer

Ratings:
    +26
    Discord:
    amir#9645
    Hey Ivan, first of all, thanks for the feedback! AMS Networks is still currently running, but I'm no longer in ownership or working as a staff member on the server as of 2019. I have more than a sufficient amount of time to dedicate towards making Brawl a better server even with my IRL responsibilities as well. :smile:

This is a good question. My primary focus as a staff member would be towards gameplay development with a focus on classes/kits as well as player atmosphere. Many community members have been suggesting specifics reworks or entirely new classes/kits, and I'd like to work with these individuals in order to get a more player-rounded approach towards a new change in a class or a new class. Using community feedback and opinions, I believe that new class structures and reworks can be accomplished. For example, abra has been suggesting the implementation of an "Angel' class and has posted multiple reworks of the class based on community feedback. I would like to work closely with abra and other staff members to look more into Angel, since it's drawn attention and seems like it could be a practical class, and try to implement it and see what changes it may need.

As for player environment, though I understand it's quite difficult to ban certain hackers within the community -- I'd like to lend a hand to see what I can do in order to push for these efforts. Along with this, proper chat moderation -- meaning using common sense and context clues for tolerance to see what's just "joking around" and what should be a punishable infraction -- is another tool I can use to better the player environment.

Of course, I understand the concern. I used these clients years ago on smaller servers out of curiosity to see how anticheats responded to different client modules. For example, on some servers I would use blatant fly hacks to see whether anticheats or the server in general would respond to that in kind. For gameplay effecting cheats such as reach, autoclicker, killaura - I've only used these on pro-hacking servers.

This is also a very good concern, though at the time I was gamesharing with a cousin, as of 2017-2018 my account has been secured and the password is updated every 6 months as listed in my application. I know for a fact that this would and will never occur again.

This is an insufficiency on my part in the application and also a good topic to point out. Though I do consider humility as my greatest strength and a method to ground myself from developing too much of an ego, I hold confidence in my beliefs, opinions, ideas, and thoughts. As written in my greatest weakness portion of the application, I also have a sense of stubbornness that I will stand by when it makes sense to. For example, of course if it's been made clear that a certain idea that I may have presented has been flawed, I won't be deadset on that idea -- I'd listen to the advice of peers and repropose. But, if I am entirely certain that the method I'm approaching is correct, I will try my best to persuade others of that fact and stand by my belief.

I am a procrastinator.. but I am also a procrastinator with a fear of failure which makes for quite a mechanic combination :smile: . I always meet deadlines with quality work both in-game, in-school, and in other tasks in my life. With the last point, I agree completely. I am able to set aside my ideas if another's idea may be better than my own.

I truly appreciated the feedback and introspection! Thank you for your +1 and kind words. :smile:

4. 4trappy

4trappy Ex JMOD

Ratings:
    +156
    Discord:
    Kayrex#9118
    Coming from a person that has worked closely with you before, I know you can be dedicated to something once you put your mind to it, I know you’re mature, and I know you’re always trying to bring out the best in people. You are definitely a trustworthy person and you take lots of responsibility, which is a very important skill to have as a staff member.

I believe you are very fit for the role of staff, and that you’ll fit right in. You have my +1, Amir.

Best of luck foo.

#4 4trappy, Nov 14, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
  5. Daveeeeeeeee

Daveeeeeeeee Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +855
    Haven’t really seen enough community involvement and interaction to think you deserve staff. Seems pretty mature but as mentioned before would like to see more contribution to the community (suggest ideas, maybe try host some PPMs etc.). Wanted to vote +0 but there wasn’t an option so went for -1.

6. quarterpan

quarterpan CTFer

Ratings:
    +26
    Discord:
    amir#9645
    Thanks for the kind words and upvote Kayrex, I really appreciate it :smile:

Thanks for the feedback Dave! You have a valid concern, I tried to get into PPM Hosting but in all honesty, I don't think I was very good at balancing teams which led to some unsettling PPMs haha. I have been trying to start commentating for the CMS though, I was going to apply a bit ago but was halted for SAT prep week. Along with that, I'm hoping that JMOD will provide me with a path towards being more involved in the game and community.

7. Foodcourt

Foodcourt Ex-Staff

Ratings:
    +183
    Discord:
    Foodcourt#6408
    What's up Amir here is my feedback for you:

In-Game/Discord Activity: Not really much to say here. You are active consistently active in-game and on Discord, I see you signup for PPMs and playing often. Easy +1

Contributions: Recent CMS commentator and hosted a few PPMs. Slightly lacking here, as before CMS not entirely involved. -1

Application: I think your application is well put together. You answer all questions openly and honestly. +1

Maturity: Definitely have no concerns here. I have been able to observe your behavior in calls, on Discord, in-game for awhile now and have no reason to doubt your maturity. Surely mature enough to handle a staff rank. +1

Forums: Post count is a little low but everything you are posting is valuable and well thought-out. I still, nonetheless, think you need a little more activity to earn a +1 here. -1 as of today.

I'm torn on my final vote here, so here is what I would like to know...

1) Not sure what type of server AMS Network is, but assuming it has PvP elements to it, did you do any work over there disciplining hackers or combing over evidence? If the server is not one where combat hacks are common, feel free to skip over this

2) I know you have recently joined CMS as a commentator and hosted a few PPMs in the past, but the former is a very new addition. So my question is what have you done already? Plenty of people have hosted PPMs or commentate for CMS, what makes you different and stand out?

3) You mention you want to help out particularly the areas of class design/reworks. Being on the staff side of things I know that changes and reworks require a lot of thought and discussion that span for longer periods of time. You identify procrastination as a weakness. I see your answer to Ivan's question and it is a good response. However, my question is will you be able to stay motivated and on task? Obviously CTF should not be #1 priority in one's life, however with various IRL responsibilities do you think you'll be able to consistently put time aside to dedicate time to discussing reworks and class implementations in conjunction with IRL needs?

I'll be sure to follow up in your response.

8. quarterpan

quarterpan CTFer

Ratings:
    +26
    Discord:
    amir#9645
    Hey Foodcourt, first off I appreciate the feedback! AMS Networks was a server that encompassed a pvp-element along with MMORPG-styled gameplay. Through the players that circulated within the server and arenas, we installed a ticket system (much like Brawl's /report command) which staffers had to respond to and coordinate with each other to solve. Many of these tickets were for potential hackers playing in the pvp-based portion of gameplay, and it was our responsibility to collect plausible evidence before distributing any punishments. In specific cases, I would need to comb through dozens or even hundreds of pages of combat/chat logs to look for things I can use to build a case or provide as evidence. Along with this, when I did reach a position of leadership I pushed for a new anticheat, as ours wasn't very great, to a privately-owned plugin that was created by one of our Developers. Along with this, I led the management team as a Head Admin and implemented a policy that was strict on gathering evidence before punishing a player. If no evidence was proposed, punishing a player would be very difficult since there would be no backing towards the ban/mute/etc. Sometimes things got a little messy, so I also implemented a log that any staff member would need to fill out if they punished a player (there was no punishment log plugin for the server version at the time). This way, the staff always had information on who, what, where, when, why, and by who the punishment was given.

I don't hold much past experience on Brawl asides from these two things that you've mentioned. I had been playing on and off from MCPVP up until 2018 where I became consistently active. I believe that the greatest way that I have already contributed to Brawl is in founding and leading Ethereal, as it became more of a friend group dynamic than a competitive team. I'm proud of the safe and fun environment that we created among random people that we all met online. Other than this, I'm hoping that I'd be able to contribute to Brawl as staff member where I can not only suggest changes, but also lend a hand in making things happen. As for what makes me stand out, a fresh pair of eyes and an untapped mind is always a good thing to have.

This is a good concern. Though I do identify procrastination as a weakness, I am also doing work on improving on this aspect, which so far has been successful. As for the time on my hands, I'm very flexible with availability and will consistently dedicate time towards my work. I've always been very good with prioritizing and balancing my responsibilities whether they're in real life or in-game.