1. Welcome to the Brawl website! Feel free to look around our forums. Join our growing community by typing /register in-game!

CTF isn't evolving

Discussion in 'Capture the Flag' started by _DmacK_, Feb 22, 2021.

1. _DmacK_

_DmacK_ Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Hi,

I've been a player of CTF since the days of MCPvP. In the period between then and now, there has been no significant change. I constantly see great ideas in the kits thread and new features to add but Brawl has added almost none of them. It's very disappointing to see. When games don't add new things or evolve, they get boring, as I've noticed with CTF.

A lot of the devs have argued that classes being added need to be carefully chosen because of how they will affect competitive gameplay. Back during the good days of CTF, this was never considered. Obviously, classes need to be considered to a certain point to make sure they're not overpowered, but Brawl has spent so much time looking at how classes affect competitive gameplay that they have added literally NO classes in the period since they adopted CTF from McPVP except scout (and fashionista which is completely useless), and removed a lot of the more fun features of classes.

I wish Brawl would consider adding more kits to regular gameplay so that the game doesn't become boring to people, as it already has to many players.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Zernaa

Zernaa Member

Ratings:
    +19
    Hey DmacK, I also played on CTF during MCPvP days. I agree with you, and I think that Brawl needs to make CTF a bit more exciting. Right now the gamemode is catered to the regulars, and the changes being made are usually for our competitive player base. An idea I have to fix this, is to have two different CTF gamemodes, just like how Hypixel has Normal and Insane Skywars. Normal would be the CTF you see now, and it would focus on the competitive side. Then there would be Insane, which would have a bunch of exciting and easy to learn mechanics for the newer players. Obviously these ideas are hard to bring into fruition, because it takes a lot of planning and coding. There's also the argument of not having enough players to sustain two different gamemodes. But if you have any other ideas, PM me!

3. SoCool21

SoCool21 8 Year McPvPer

Ratings:
    +2,465
    Agreed. While balance changes are important, we need new content as well and I think we've been falling short on that. The only major new content additions since McPvP have been the engineer & necro rework, and scout.

There are plenty of opportunities for new content to be added. Dwarf needs to be completely reworked, and I think mage and archer would be good targets for a rework as well. Assassin will need a rework if we update to 1.16, too. There's also plenty of opportunities for new classes - a new offence class would be awesome (especially as part of an offence overhaul), and we still need a free recovery class. We also have 3 fully functional but unreleased classes (paladin, mechanic, and wraith) - these may need some balance changes but I don't think it would be that difficult to add these.

• Like Like x 1
  4. NinetyThree

NinetyThree Active Member

Ratings:
    +36
    my boy SPITTIN

• Like Like x 1
  5. SoCool21

SoCool21 8 Year McPvPer

Ratings:
    +2,465
    What kind of removed features do you wish to see back (or, which classes do you think aren't very fun)? I'm currently trying to come up with some ideas for what we could implement in the next update, so any input is welcome.

6. ZBoy3210

ZBoy3210 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I fully agree with this post. Honestly it is sad to see a server with high potential fall flat.

Personally, I have been around since the McPvP days as well - a time in which CTF was significantly better. Why do I think it was better? It was simple. A cut-and-dry concept with extreme PvP and flag capturing. Yes, classes were overpowered compared to the way they are now and that is why CTF was more appealing to people.
    All in all, simplicity within a server works. Keeping a community connected to the core goal of a server, or game, is important. Both of these concepts have faded away to a point where player counts continue to decrease and I see more posts like this being put out. Clearly whatever is being done to "make CTF better" is not working. Player suggestions are over analyzed or quickly rejected. A common theme to "solving" issues is class nerfs/reworks along with map recycling.

Really, this is what needs to be asked here: is the current state of Brawl CTF working? If not, are the changes being made truly improving the server? Are players joining and staying or joining and leaving? Furthermore, what is player retention like?

Aside from that, I have also largely noticed this CTF being divided between casual (the normal servers where nearly 100 people once played to the death) and PPM. What has this really done for the server though? Leaving the issue of lack of evolution, meaningful changes and discussion aside, it has 100% made Brawl CTF stagnant. Gone are the days of teams in an all out brawl. Gone are the days of a simple server concept: PvP, team play and Capturing The Flag.
    In my eyes, Brawl CTF is more or less a hangout spot for regulars. PPM exists for those actually wanting to play the game it was intended to, although how would newer players know about it upon joining and playing for a while? This is sad to see. I have always attempted to play the game on defense and PvP the opposing team. Using a laptop is less than optimal, but still was a great time due to the shear simplicity and all out brawl nature the server once had. Nowadays, it is rare to see a full CTF server and a large match of PvP/teams. The PvP aspect has faded into a lot of selective killing as well as assisting the opposite team and watching a battle occur. I won't say this is all that exists to the PvP/team component, although it is a larger part than ever before.

Overall, the core concepts of CTF have faded into a shell of what once existed. Ideas and discussions run into brick walls with over analyzing and a constant desire for class nerfs/removals. All this while Brawl CTF has lost players and a true meaning to the game. I know the response on my viewpoint may not be great - after all it has been the subject of insulting in-game on a few occasions. Although, it is sad to see a server/game once so popular and fun dwindle into a shell of it's former self.

• Like Like x 1